I have also been super lazy in updating this blog. Not because life hasn't been exciting on this side of the globe; perhaps, too exciting! We are in for another heat wave this week (nothing in the 40's but still hot hot hot!) Matt was a sweetie and left me his fan; even with that on and sleeping in my swimmers, I am sweating up a storm. That is my excuse for my procrastination in updating this blog and I'm sticking to it! But this is my crack at a two week update so bare with me if I'm more A.D.D. than usual.
Last Sunday was 'Straya day or as the locals call it, Invasion Day! It was a Sunday and absolutely gorgeous out, obviously we had to hit the beach. St. Kilda was packed with heaps of people. We didn't bring any picnic gear with us, since we were already rocking our gym bags, so we just hit up Republica (a pretty sweet az patio) on the beach and chilled out in the sun. We shared a table with a random couple in their 50's and some young guys who looked familiar, which I found odd since I'm half way around the world. Turns out, I met these guys during Spring Carnival. Reality check: the world is small regardless of what country you're in! We ended the night with a visit to my now, favorite frozen yogurt place, Yo-Chi! To cool off and it was cheat day after all!
Last week also marked Shauna's last week in Melbourne as my roomie. We are too busy jet setting separately, we won't be in the same city for more than 2 consecutive days until we are both back in Calgary. We have, however, scheduled a rendezvous at Melbourne airport when she lands from Sydney and I from Brisbane - stressful lives we lead, I know. It's strange trying to remember my routine before she moved in. Meal prep and working out is much more fun when you have a buddy with you that's for certain. Miss you heaps dearest Ho! Small tooth is back and there is no one to laugh with! Lol.
This week I have been getting back into the groove of things - my weekly hangout with Sosan. This week, we went to ACMI to check out the music video exhibition. Very cool to see the evolution of music videos and learn about all the different techniques used to make the videos more entertaining for the audience. The fastest video to ever be shot was in 4 hours and edited in 5. Now, if only I can remember which video it was... Qibo and I met for our weekly coffee catch up. Each week, we try a new cafe in Brunswick and haven't been back to the same one in the 3 months we have known each other. Proof that my previous statement about the eating/drinking culture here. And this is only in our suburb, we haven't even ventured away from the confines of our comfort zone! This was probably the best coffee I have had here and that is saying a lot! Luckily, they sell tins of this stuff so I can bring some home to share!
In other news, since my beautiful cousin has decided to have an official wedding, I will be in Phoenix the first week of May. It wasn't really much of a decision if I was going to come back and celebrate this amazing start to a new chapter with her. It was more a question of do I come home? To which the answer is no. Sorry folks, you will have to wait to see me in the summer. Seems a bit crazy to some that I would fly all the way back there and not just go home but I should really maximize on my Australian Visa while it's still valid; that and I'm really just not ready yet.
I have been away from home for a little over 4 months now; it's been an amazing journey and I have rediscovered a lot about myself, which has been "lost" during routine life in Calgary. Perhaps buried is a more appropriate word; under the actual responsibilities of an adult building a life, rather than a Canadian on a working holiday visa. Nonetheless, the more I am away from home, the more I miss the little conveniences, like driving my car, my wardrobe (there are so many events that I'm like oh that dress would have been perfect...) but at the same time, I don't know if Calgary is the place for me; at this point in my life at least. Every city I visit, I can see myself setting up a life; if only I could take my family with me. Seriously, you guys are what keeps me grounded and make Calgary home... I would have left ages ago. Not that I don't love you too, my friends, but I know you guys would come visit me. The familiarity and love of family just can't be replaced!
This weekend was a busy one! Saturday, was Sosan's birthday so we went for an am workout (some friend I am eh? It's your bday, let's hit the gym! lol) and then enjoyed an amazing barbie at hers. Of course, champagne poppin'! I was very well behaved since Kevin and I were driving up the Great Ocean Road today. We stopped at Lorne beach for some coffee on the way to the 12 Apostles. The view was absolutely stunning. We hung around the beach for most of the afternoon but neither of us remembered to bring our swimmers - yet another fail! But the waves were massive and there was signage everywhere deterring people from swimming in the water. The undertow was really strong, even standing near the shore. So many times I almost lost my balance and fell in, phone in hand! Imagine that! Happy New Year to me. Tens upon thousands of people die in Aussie by drowning (not shark attacks, although there has been an increase in frequency in those as well) because people are over confident in their swimming abilities. Wave swimming is much different than pool swimming. A couple of weeks ago at Port Sea, Sosan and I got knocked over and I nearly lost my top because the waves are so strong! The water is just too unpredictable and I would rather not take that risk.
I can't believe it's already February! I can already see this year flying by, even though it has just started. There are talks about my going away bash at work and with friends... Didn't I just move here? I'm in awe of my life on fast forward; looking at my instagram posts, I cannot believe that this is my life. I am absolutely in love with it! I am quite a positive and optimstic person to begin with (in my humble opinion, of course) and even then, I can't remember a time I was this happy - vitamin D overload :)
I hope everyone shares in my sentiment - livin' it up and lovin' life. I have had a few reality checks with loved ones around me already this year and it really puts life in perspective so laugh until your tummy hurts, tell family and friends you love them - you never know what tomorrow holds.
This was a short one but hopefully puts your minds at ease that I alive and breathing! Thank you for your dedicated readership - I'm really happy there is an avenue where I can share my journey with you all.
Much love,
Miss J.









No comments:
Post a Comment