Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Life on FFwd

I'm in my final days of work and although the freedom of evenings to do whatever I please in the heart of summer is enticing, it also means *gasp* budgeting... How am I going to shop?! Haha first world problems, left, right and center! Working in a boutique, although not without it's challenges, has been a lot of fun - I have learned a lot about the buying process, pricing, visual marketing; not to mention the heaps of people I have met. It's been an interesting 4 months that's for certain.

I can't believe I have been on this side of the world for over 4 months! Thank you for the constant kind message reminders that it's almost time to come home *insert shriek of horror and tears of anguish here* I purchased my flight to Phoenix, which makes my impending return a greater reality. Although, I am beyond excited for 12 whole days with my family :)

In the time I have been here, I have picked up on some Aussie terms/slang. Interestingly, we are both English speaking countries yet, there are some quirky differences - some of which I don't like/understand; others, I think are awesome/hilarious. Some Aussie-isms for ya:
- arvo = afternoon (hate this and makes no sense to me)
- az = ass; ie: sweet az, bad az, broke az (aka what I will be when I'm home..)
- thongs = flip flops (kiwi's call them jandals... because they're Japanese sandals... *face palm*)
- chips = fries
- fries = shoe string fries
- crisps = potato chips
- boot = trunk
- singlet = tank top
- jumper = pull over
- mokka = mocha (I get so much heat for how I pronounce this)
- capsicum = bell peppers
- rock melon = cantaloupe
- goss = gossip
- keen = excited
- rubbish = garbage
- toilet = bathroom
- quarter past = quarter after
- flatmate = roommate
- car park = parking lot / spot
- push bike = bicycle
- bogon = red neck
- tradie = someone working in trades / blue collar
- cardie = cardigan
- playsuit = romper
- heaps = a hell of a lot
- in ages = a hell of a long time
- full on = in yo face / ultra busy
- massive night = white girl wasted

Friday is Valentine's Day, also known as every guys nightmare or the day every girl swears that she hates flowers but secretly hopes her other half has bought her some. In all fairness, I have been there... Maybe it's because I have been single for so long or that I just grew to realize the overpriced flowers/candy/meals aren't worth it. Gone are the days where candy and flowergrams deliveries in homeroom but I do miss the chocolates. But as my great friend CQ has reminded me, the best day is the day after Valentine's Day - half priced chocolates! I guess my plans for Saturday are solidified - scouring the shops for cheap chocolates! Don't judge me... My inner fat kid needs to be unleashed once in awhile, and I'm unemployed now! I kid. I do plan to spend Valentine's Day on my own. One of the things I want to do this year is watch a movie in the theatre by myself and I can't think of a better day to do it! Some of you may think it's 'sad' but it's my own way of solidifying my independence. I reckon it will also be entertaining to see all the different type of couples that are out and about. Maybe to make it more interesting, I will pretend I got stood up... LOL!

Locking in some plans for my next couple weeks of freedom and crossing off those items on my to do list. The freedom of flexibility with a dash of routine - the perfect recipe for some fabulous days ahead. It may also mean more regular updates but no promises.

Wishing everyone (an early) Happy Valentine's Day <3 Let's celebrate love in our lives in all its forms - expect cheesy texts from yours truly!

XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment