Sunday, December 22, 2013

'Tis the season...

I have been enjoying the gorgeous sunny weather we have been blessed with this past week, hence the lack of posting but I am back! Just in time to wish everyone happy holidays - I will definitely write up one last post before the New Year.

Christmas away from home has definitely been strange. I have only been away for Christmas once and even then, my family came over to Asia to visit so it felt less lonely. Don't get me wrong, I have heaps to keep me busy and a great group of friends who have done nothing short of making me feel at home but there's just that unsettling feeling not being with family. I have said, if I do ever move away (hint, hint) that I will be home for Christmas every year. I also miss the snow, bundling up in ugly Christmas sweaters and the holiday drinks at Starbucks! Oh, peppermint mocha, how I miss thee. We did go see Christmas lights in the burbs; Reg and An made it there mission to get me a peppermint mocha - we walked into an Italian restaurant and order a skim mocha and added some mint Cadbury chocolate to it! Thank you for helping me keep the tradition alive, you two! The lights were gorgeous and helped me envision how I'll decorate my house one day; three words: OVER THE TOP! With the amount of lights that I'll have, you will probably be able to spot it from the moon :) Yes, I am a Christmas fanatic! Ivanhoe (the suburb we were in) made Pump Hill look like the ghetto. These houses were massive! Some even went to the extreme of having people play the harp outside to enhance the Christmas experience.

Last weekend we had our Christmas block party with the neighbours. First time in the two years everyone has lived here and now we have decided to make it a monthly get together. Everyone is kiwi and incredibly sweet. We spent the afternoon drinking and chatting in the sun and before we knew it, 7 hours flew by. Good times for sure! I have mentioned how lucky I have been here with my housemates. Being someone who has only really had one "roommate" aka Papa Bear, I was slightly nervous about living with stranger(s). Matt is such a sweetie - last night, we had girls night; not only did he put up with our extremely loud high pitched laughs, he even offered to give us a lift into the city. I came home today to find my stocking stuffed full of goodies! Seriously, what a sweet heart. Ladies, he's a catch - I am now accepting girlfriend resumes on his behalf.

I awoke this morning to messages from the family and had some good quality FaceTime with them! Got to almost the entire Quach clan, what a great thing to wake up to :) Everyone looked wonderfully festive and I, looking very much like I had a crazy night out on the town. Thanks for reminding me of how shit I looked Jey! LOL. Did some holiday baking for the neighbours and for this week's upcoming parties after Shauna and I hit the gym. Welcome back to Melb'n darling - we missed you! Mid baking, I got a FaceTIme call from the crew and got to watch them open gifts while I opened my lovely secret Santa gift. Thanks again Phung! I LOVE my Charlie Brown Christmas Tree and my ornament - can I post it back to you before I move home? Lol. Baking was not the same without you, dearest cousin - funny that we are both celebrating Christmas in summer. They don't sell pudding here so I have opted to make our annual batch of cookies with cake mix - wish me luck! I hope they turn out.

I have been constantly blasting of Christmas music to get myself into the festive spirit! Looking forward to a few days off this week to spend with friends. I'll be spending Christmas Eve at Sosan's; they've got a pool set up and ready for the 25 degree weather we are expecting. Christmas day, I was planning to host "orphan's" Christmas at mine but it's much too small to fit friends so Carla was sweet enough to offer her place. Boxing Day will be with Tessa's family. Seriously, so blessed to have such a great group of friends over here. A lot to fill my days... And my belly!

My phone isn't able to hookup to my laptop for some odd reason which means I haven't able to load any pictures. Looks like I will have to pop by Chinatown to have them check out the problemo. Until then, you will have to deal with just plain reading! Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas - hope you are all surrounded by loved ones and holiday treats.

Song of the week: Free - Rudimental
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPW_g2AhAU
It would be more fitting to have a Christmas song but this song just speaks to me. Have a listen to the lyrics.

x,
Miss J

No comments:

Post a Comment