Thursday, October 3, 2013

Minority to the Max

The weather in the last few days has not motivated me to do much. The sporadic bouts of rain, wind storms and the rare glimpses of sunshine make me feel like I'm back home in Calgary; the only thing that reminds me I'm here and not there is the frequent usage of I reckon, mate, how you goin'? I reckon (see what I did there?) I'm coming across as a huge sissy over here, since our winters are much worse but remember, I no longer have the luxury of Felix to get me from point A to point B. It's walking or taking the tram for this gal now.

Shauna has been an incredibly amazing host/tour guide/room mate! I've learned heaps about Melbourne! Thanks buddy! Will miss you but will see you again in a couple of months. Past post reference: we are living in a predominantly gay community and as a hetero (this is what they refer to us as! Like it's an epidemic! That or reproducers followed by a disgusted ugh. So not only am I one of two Asians, I am usually the ONLY straight gal - hence the post title...) I don't have much interaction with this populace. Hanging out S&Co. has admittedly helped me overcome many stereotypes of lesbian life; thanks Hollywood, you have once again succeeded in screwing up my perception of reality. At the risk of sounding like a total ignorant biotch, I will admit that I never thought about the courtship or how gay relationships come about because it never pertained to me - the sweaty palm nervousness of potential rejection; quickened heart rate when you meet someone attractive; the goofy smile plastered on your face while texting your crush... We are all in the same! Cupid's bow extends beyond the heteros!
Another prejudice I had, (again, putting my neck out there) that most lesbos (I'm allowed to say this because Aussies are lazy and shorten everything!) are butch. Nope! I have learned about the Femmes - those who are really into fashion and dress "girly." May seem like an anomaly back in C-town or (revelation!) we are too consumed with preconceived notions to think they exist?! In hindsight, I should have started that sentence with 'Confucius say...' - you should feel enlightened! If not, go urban dictionary 'spaghetti girl' - forewarning, you may never think of spaghetti the same. And NO, that was NOT my coming out speech. I most definitely like boys! Wipe that smug look of doubt off your face, Kev!

I'm excited to announce, I have found a 'permanent' home for the next 6 months! I also found a job - so contrary to what many of you have suggested, I don't need to practice my dance moves!! All of this accomplished in one Thursday afternoon, after a killer workout. Gettin' into my groove! Aside from the Asian food craze over here, bakeries and the cafe culture are huge. Starbucks are as rare as sobriety during Stampede! Although the weather does call for a pumpkin spice long black, I fear carrying a Starbucks cup will have me condemned. Everyone is a coffee expert and everyone knows a place that's better than that other place - I don't think 6 months is enough time to try all the cafes that have been suggested to me. Nonetheless, I am excited to try as many as I can. Of course, a cafe is incomplete without a bakery and I kid you not, these bakeries are nothing like the franchises we have back home. I'm talking 80 different choices of fresh baked goods, elaborate cakes with details a wedding dress would envy and flavors I never thought would be put together. Brunch + chinese street food + great shopping + bakeries = I may never come home! Just kidding, Papa Bear.
The hunt for washboard abs continue. I have been promised, weather permitting, they will appear and I will be in awe - keeping my fingers crossed!

Some of you have asked me what I fill my days with and the answer to that my friends is, whatever the heck I want! And I love it! No obligations or real responsibilities to be here or there at specified time. My mornings are spent chatting with peeps back home; blogging (these posts take me a few days to write, depending on my creative mood); until recently, looking for a place to rent and jobs; researching about travel; and arranging social events. I recently joined meetup.com, (no, not a dating site, although it is plentiful in its singles groups) which is a social gathering site with groups created based on similar interests. It's a great way to meet new people and expand my currently minimal social circle. I have met some really fun people thus far - some, like myself who are new to Melbourne; born and bred Melbournians/Melbourites (I have no idea what they're called lol); expats etc. I have been to two events - a party at a pub and a comedy show. Of course, I also joined the Chocoholics group! Goodbye waistline, hello sugar high!

To my dismay, I have learned Thanksgiving is not celebrated here (although it makes sense since Australia has always been Australia). No turkey, no cranberry sauce but most heartbreaking, no pumpkin pie (still craving it, even though I was spoiled with some amazing custom homemade goodness before I left). I also will not see any of these delectable dishes during Christmas! Since it's summer here, I will gorging on seafood and BBQ! You guys all know how much I LOVE Christmas and tradition... This is heartbreaking. I know I wanted change but this is pushing me closer to the edge! Hashtag, disappointed!

Forecast for the weekend: GORGEOUS! Into the city for dinner and drinks tonight (going to be a struggle to get those abs), Shauna's going away BBQ at our place tomorrow and Sunday brunch on the beach. This really IS the life!


The Grand Finale Footy game - sitting outside along the river



Rooftop bar on my first night here



Just a few of the amazing cakes I've seen - too many pics to post



Astro Theatre - kickin' it old school



My new gym!



Chinatown



Caramelized pork hock with spices and chili vinegar - best pork I have ever had!


The goal is blog weekly so you guys know I'm still breathing; that, and so I don't forget all the fun things I have done! A trip the Yarra Valley wineries is in the works and planning my drive up the coast as soon as Allan confirms his vacation dates!

Heard the snow threat back home, stay warm mates!
xx
Miss*JQ

No comments:

Post a Comment