Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Venice - Map. Highly Required

As previously mentioned, the drive from Rome to Venice was a bitch, to say the least. Anyway, we arrive at our hotel after driving around lost for an hour, Liz, our GPS (indeed, we named her) failed to direct us. Eventually ML found our way here and WOW 75 Euros can get you a nice place. We get here, exhausted and decide to siesta for a couple of hrs before we meet up for dinner. I, the nerd and not wanting to forget a single moment of this trip, reach for my travel journal, only to realize, I am a retard and left it in Rome. Yes Amy, the beautiful travel journal you bought me for THIS trip and for my birthday, I left in Rome. I wanted to cry. Course of action, you ask? I'm calling Rome as soon as we get to Nice and asking them to send it. I will fork out the fee. It is too cute and has too many thoughts in there to just be left, abandoned. I would make a horrible mother!

Anyway, last night M and I ventured out on our own, without our usual male entourage. Our consequences for such actions was discrimination. Twice. Firstly, we were reassured by the front desk that we would be able to purchase bus tickets on the bus itself. We get on, only to be rejected. The answer is no. Tickets can only be purchased at Tobacco shops. We get kicked off a bus (causing me to relive my Jr. High yrs). Fine, we decide to grab dinner at this quaint pizzeria by our hotel. No english menu but no biggy, I ask for a Calzone with spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes. It's oven baked (stone oven baked. None of this electricity bs we have in Canada) and of course, amazing. Funny thing is, we ask for cutlery and again, slapped in the face with rejection! You cannot eat in the place. Fine. We take it back to our hotel, eat it there and then venture to a super market to pick up some wine and fruit for the next couple of days. On our journey, we find many locals seated at the exact pizzeria.. We can't see them eating but we presume that after 5 minutes of creepy staring from across the street, the locals were welcome to consume their food there. Venice - 2, J&M - 0. The rest of the night was spent sipping wine while sitting on our balcony recapping the past 2.5 days in Rome and reliving our ridiculously hilarious pictures. I will post when I can!

Day 4 - Venice In its entirety, no joke

Before I begin the description of my day, let me first describe my restless sleep. This brief description may cause some jaws to drop and for some, to reconfirm my dedication and obsessive love. Mid sleep, M and I smack into each other, which is rare bc I have conditioned myself of the years to limit rolling in my sleep, however last night was an exception. It was an intense volleyball game and the blonde at the volleydome was threatening to blow the whistle. We were down a couple points in the third match and we needed to win this. The ball is coming over the net and in an effort to keep the rally going, I dive to the right. Literally, in my sleep, I whip my body to the right, only to realize, I am nowhere near playing volleyball. That's right folks, a week away from the game and I start to dream about it! I am a freak..

Not sure if interrupted sleep or the 20 to 30 kms we are walking a day was the reason but we woke up an hour later than we anticipated. Rushing out the door, we forget our map, detailed plan included. Assuming Venice, being a sinking island and all, couldn't be too hard to navigate we decide to 'wing it.' Think again. We spent 8 hrs on this island, 6 of which were spent on our feet, walking around, trying to find historic landmarks. Maps for sale were incredibly over priced and being the overly confident (arrogant isn't a nice word!) young travelers we figure we can manage on our own. Upon returning to our hotel, we find we had walked the ENTIRE island in one day. Yes, the whole f-ing thing!

Forgetting the sever ankle and lower back pain, Venice was gorgeous. Aged and cultured as I would like to put it. The canal runs right through the city and throughout the day, I had to keep reminding myself that ppl in fact lived here. It felt so much like an amusement park of Europe that ppl just visited. Tourists flooded the streets (no pun intended) and I found myself clumsily running into ppl everywhere 5 steps or so. After 5 hours, we had a very short siesta where we sat in St. Marco square in the rain and listened to a live band play. I seriously felt like I was in a movie. The only thing missing was a poofy dress and a hot European guy. Which ladies, I regret to inform you, I have failed to see. The quest for Mr. D&G model continues...

The weather has been miserable and has been taking a toll on my mood. My (now,not so) perma grin is being threatened by mother nature and I am not liking it one bit. Forecast for tomorrow? Rain. Yet again! Give me a break!! I refuse to let water pellets ruin anymore pictures! I don't have a straightener, at least let me where my cute summer outfits. Long pants, not an option. So if my next post is titled: 'sick in France, kill me now,' you will know why!

Tomorrow's agenda - SHOPPING! I haven't bought anything except a cute pair of sandals for Paris. I know! But like I said, I am a changed woman! Lol for today at least. Venice is famous for blown glass everything and mardi gras masks. I just hope I dont break any of it in my suitcases!

As always, missing home (does my vball dream give it away?!) Well wishes from Venice.

Thank you for the comments!! Keep 'em coming! Sure makes me more motivated to keep posting about life on the go, even if Venice is up 3 - 0 on Megs and I !

** Sidenote: I can't believe you broke your leg on the trampoline, D!! Hope you feel better soon :) Keep me posted on surgeries and stuff. Miss you.

J

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! Miss you tons back home! I'm living vicariously through your detailed blog! It sounds absolutely amazing over there I can't wait to go one day.....especially all your pizza + wine talk! I was wondering when you were going to blog about the men over there....hmm well you still have ton of time to get eloped with a hot Euro hottie. Don't forget to ping ;) Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allo friend! very detailed blog you have going on, when do you have time to do this?! sounds like you're having an amazing time so far, don't let the weather beat you. don't worry about the team, we won both games this week. 2-1 and 2-0.

    ReplyDelete